Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Meet our Intern, Betsy!



Student Activities is lucky to have a Graduate Intern in our office this year.  Betsy Cronin is a RIC Graduate Student with lots of experience working with college students and programs.  Her primary roles in the office will be to work with our SA Marketing team, aspects of our leadership programs, and the weekly SA Briefs, but she'll also be helping out in other areas including Greek Life.  She's going to join us on our retreat, so we asked her a few questions to get to know her better.


What did you do before coming to RIC?
I was the Manager of Arts Events & Publicity at Wheaton College in Norton, MA.  My job was incredibly demanding but very exciting! I got to meet some phenomenal visual and performing artists.  I will always reassure the time I spent with so many of these folks, particularly Christo and Jeanne Claude, Take 6, Ailey II, and Patrick Dougherty.  I feel very grateful for the experiences.

What do you like best about RIC?
I love that the student body is comprised of student from many diverse backgrounds.  Everyone has something unique to bring to the table!

What made you interested in interning with Student Activities?
In my former career, I had the great pleasure to employ, and also mentor teams of about 10-12 students every year, all of whom assisted me with various aspects of arts administration.  Nurturing these relationships, helping students to succeed, and watching them thrive was an unwritten job description, yet the most important role I served in my 12 years at Wheaton. I came to the conclusion that working directly with students was a most fulfilling vocation!

What are your career goals?
I am here for another couple of years, enrolled in the M.A./M.Ed. in History program full time.  My goal is to become certified to teach middle/high school social studies and history.

What are you looking forward to most with Greek Life?
Meeting you all, first and foremost :) Secondly to observe how you all implement your chapter goals and hone your leadership skills while having fun at the same time! I love the loyalty and commitment aspect of Greek Life.

What do you like to do in your free time?
Write, write, write for school! Actually, I am involved with my own community service in my spare time. I am a member of Elmhurst Clean & Green, an organization that sponsors clean ups, organizes events, and serves as a crime watch for our neighbors.  I am trained as a Girl Scout leader and hope to start a troop this fall.  Additionally, I am an active alumna at Wheaton College! My boyfriend, Don, and I love to hike, bike, and spend time outdoors as much as possible.  We love to visit visual and historic museums...I was an art history major as an undergrad!

Tell us a fun fact about yourself.
We are going to adopt a Cardigan Welsh Corgi puppy in the coming year!! In the meantime our cat, Nola, is enjoying being an "only pet." Until puppy strikes!



Betsy’s office is in SU408.  She can also be reached at sagrad@ric.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment